About Us

Contact Information

How You Can Make a Difference


Legislative Action Center


Policy Information Center


Religious Liberty

Send Me
More Information




March E-Legislative Action Alert

Hearings on the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2001 (H.R. 503) begin in the House Judiciary Subcommittee

On March 15, 2001, a House Judiciary Subcommittee opens hearings on the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2001 (H.R. 503). [To view the bill see: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d107:h.r.00503: ] The measure would establish criminal penalties for anyone injuring or killing a fetus while committing certain federal offenses. This would include terrorism and crimes committed on federal property against military personnel and federal employees.

If an individual causes death or injury to a member of the species Homo sapiens at any stage of development, the bill (sponsored by Representative Lindsey Graham [Republican-South Carolina]) would create a separate criminal offense.

What Can You Do?

Call the following representatives listed below on the Subcommittee on the Constitution and urge them to support the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2001 (H.R. 503). Representative Chabot (Republican-Ohio) is the chairman of the Subcommittee (Subcommittee telephone number is 202-226-7680). Also, call your representative and urge him/her to support the Unborn Victims of Violence Act of 2001 (H.R. 503). The Capitol Hill switchboard numbers are 202-225-3121 or 202-224-3121. (Those numbers will direct you to the Capitol Hill operator. Ask for your representative's office.)

Subcommittee on the Constitution:

Telephone: 202-226-7680
Representative Chabot, Chairman

Republican Members:

Mr. Smith (Texas)
Mr. Chabot (Ohio)
Mr. Jenkins (Tennessee)
Mr. Hutchinson (Arkansas)
Mr. Graham (South Carolina)
Mr. Bachus (Alabama)
Mr. Hostettler (Indiana)
Ms. Hart (Pennsylvania)

Democratic Members:

Mr. Conyers (Michigan) Ranking
Mr. Frank (Massachusetts)
Mr. Nadler (New York)
Mr. Scott (Virginia)
Mr. Watt (North Carolina)

To go to your representative's website, find his E-mail or to find out who your representatives are... http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

To electronically mail your U.S. House of Representative, go to http://www.house.gov/htbin/wrep_findrep.

Addressing Correspondence:

The Honorable (full name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative (last name):

To view a sample letter to a congressman, go to http://www.americanvoiceinstitute.org/SampleUnbornVictimsofViolenceLetter.htm

Back to the American Voice Institute of Public Policy Home Page