About Us

Contact Information

How You Can Make a Difference


Legislative Action Center


Policy Information Center


Religious Liberty

Send Me
More Information




March E-Legislative Action Alert

Vote Expected on the Economic Growth and
Tax Relief Act of 2001 (H.R. 3)

A vote is expected by the full House as early as Thursday, March 8, 2001 on the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Act of 2001 (H.R. 3), an accelerated version of President Bush's across-the-board reduction in income tax rates.

The bill was passed by the Committee on Ways and Means with a party-line vote on March 1, 2001. The measure was adopted by a 23 to 15 vote with all Republicans in favor and all Democrats opposed. It will provide $960 billion over 10 years of tax relief. The Democratic alternative that offered less tax relief was rejected. This year, the Republican bill would provide $360 for a couple and $180 for an individual.

According to many economists, targeted tax cuts do little or nothing to energize the economy. On the other hand, a recession can be forestalled or mitigated by reducing this marginal tax rate.

Through the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Act, a twelve percent bracket would be created for 2001 and 2002 declining to 11 percent from 2003-2005 and 10 percent in 2006 under the legislation drafted by Representative Bill Thomas (Republican - California). About $65 billion would be added to the President's plan over 10 years in tax relief by including the provision making the lower rate retroactive to January 1, 2001.

For more information on tax relief legislation, go to http://americanvoiceinstitute.org/Legislative_Agenda_Taxation.htm

What Can You Do?

Send a message to your national congressman expressing your support for the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Act of 2001 (H.R. 3) to provide needed tax relief to American families.

Contact Information:

Call your representative and urge him/her to support the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Act of 2001 (H.R. 3).

Capitol Hill Switchboard Numbers: 202-225-3121 or 202-224-3121 (Those numbers will direct you to the Capitol Hill operator. Ask for your representative's office.)

To go to your representative's website, find his E-mail or to find out who your representatives are... http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

To electronically mail your U.S. House of Representative, go to http://www.house.gov/htbin/wrep_findrep.

Addressing Correspondence:

The Honorable (full name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative (last name):

To view a sample letter to a congressman, go to http://www.americanvoiceinstitute.org/SampleTaxationLetter.htm

Back to the American Voice Institute of Public Policy Home Page