About Us

Contact Information

How You Can Make a Difference


Legislative Action Center


Policy Information Center


Religious Liberty

Send Me
More Information




Capital Hill Watch Alert

Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006    

The US House of Representatives is expected to vote on Tuesday, December 5, 2006, on the Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006 (S. 3711)   [To view the Full Text of the legislation visit: Full Text of Legislation  ].

The bill would authorize drilling in about 8.3 million acres of the eastern Gulf of Mexico, including about 2.5 million acres of the section known as “Lease Area 181.” It would direct 37.5 percent of the drilling proceeds to Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas for coastal restoration, 12.5 percent to the federal Land and Water Conservation fund and the remaining 50 percent to the federal treasury.  It would establish a 125 – mile buffer for energy development in Gulf waters of the Florida coast and extend existing moratoria on energy exploration and development in the Gulf. 

Ideally, what would be necessary is a measure that would have opened all of the United States Atlantic and Pacific coastal waters more than 100 miles off shore to oil and natural gas exploration.  However, though the measure does not represent an answer to this nation's worsening energy supply situation, it is a step forward in meeting the required demand.  For the measure to pass, a two-thirds majority is required.  President George W. Bush, who supports the legislation, could quickly sign the measure into law if the House of Representatives passes the Senate version of this bill unchanged.

What Can You Do?

Urge your representative TO SUPPORT  the Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006 (S. 3711)

Contact Information:  

Capitol Hill Switchboard Numbers: 202-225-3121 or 202-224-3121 (Those numbers will direct you to the Capitol Hill operator. Ask for your representative's office.)

To go to your representative's website, find his E-mail or to find out who your representatives are... http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

To electronically mail your U.S. House of Representative, go to http://www.house.gov/htbin/wrep_findrep.  

Addressing Correspondence:  

The Honorable (full name)
United States House of Representatives
Washington, DC 20515    

Dear Representative (last name):  

Addressing Correspondence:   

The Honorable (full name)
United States Senate
Washington, DC 20510  

Dear Senator (last name):  

Back to the American Voice Institute of Public Policy Home Page